I will list the mandatory things you have to do to be a descent monk :
1) get 100% Sanctuary uptime on your WD until the boss spawns, then 100% of sanctuary on the boss killer (necro).
2 100% uptime on Epiphany.
3)refresh time of need all the time, make your team safe
What you need to do to be a GOOD MONK :
1) Lag management : if your team dies because of the lag, you are probably responsible for that ( hello HC players).
The lag will depend on the mob type, and on the density. needless to say that over 8/9%, u need to take care and anticipe the lag. IF ITS GOING TO BE LAGGY, REMOVE SOME MOBS with cyclone on the edge of the pack, dont let your party die.
NB : Another way to avoid the lag, especially with the Firebats WD, is to NOT use cyclone before burst. cyclone is the spell which creates the best density ( better packed mobs), hence if u use cyclone too much, density will kill you. you are SUPPORT, don't think about your 50% ehp thanks to the shoulders, think about your party.
2) Play the proc properly : I've seen many monks playing without proc and fucking up the WD. you need an excellent lag management from WD to play without proc. but remember : if u die, your WD has a high chance to die as well, don't think you are zlatan or GOD himself, until you are not tanky enough, play with the proc.
remember: during HIGH lags, u won't cyclone ( -50% ehp), won't have spirit guards buff ( -60%). proc will be the only way you won't rip ..too much
3) Getting elites in the middle of the pack : You need the WD to move with you on the elites, and max the dps from area dmg ON the elites. either the barb will help you to rageflip then in right in the middle, otherwise you need to communicate well with the WD and move with him.
Why is it that important? because the better the elite is surrounded by mobs, the more he will suffer from area dmg.
4) switch build for speeds/ push
a) the mantra : aglity is always a good choice for speeds. you will have to focus less on your spirit, more on your gameplay. if everyone is tanky enough, go for attack speed mantra.
avaharion or FB? your call. depends a lot of your spirit regen as well, your gameplay... but for speeds, avaharion is better for sure.
4) DONT cyclone before leaving : lets say you are over with the burst ( mostly after WD fire proc). don't recyclone the pack ,it will fuck up the DR and the barb won't be able to pull elites or mobs you wanna kill further.
5) NEVER LEAVE YOUR WD (or other dps) ALONE. help him, babysit him, help him go through the rift especially without illusory boots ( the triangle explained further is a perfect example!)
How to become a GOD MONK?
1) NEVER PULL elites or mobs that the barb will bring to the next stop spot. there is nothing more annoying for the barb; if u move, move with the dash from Epiphany, NEVER CYCLONE (remember you have a 2 stuns DR, if u cyclone, there is only one pull left for the barb).
2) COMMUNICATION : this is KEY : u have to know
- when the WD wil burst, or let him know to wait because you are about to bring more mobs/elites.
-what are the elite life %, to know if u have to move to the next point or not.
-ask him when is spirit walk is up to move the a better spot (for example, right on an elite). then play properly your sanctuary.
-if the barb is away, ask WD about his globes and if he is not capped, run around and get some for him.
3) BE MOBILE:
- once you applied sanctuary, you don't have to stay on it and afk facebook. look around you, there is always something to pull. Avoid to let the barb do 100% of the pulling work. you will save time, it helps a lot.
-get the globes on the sides. for speeds, I even play with Rondal, to get more pick up.
-apply bleeds everywhere; boosting WD' pain enhancer effect
4) THE TRIANGLE DREAM
Dont let the barb spend 20 secs on a thing you could do with 2 pulls. this is call pulling as a triangle. on a corner, you will pull ONCE to get the mobs on the cross, then another time to get them on the spot ( better explained on the video )
I will update this build if I have other points coming into my mind.
5) don't fuck up the STUN DR on the boss : if the boss killer is a necro with the krysbin ring, u need to stop hitting 5 sec at least before physical and refresh epiphany/sanctuary without touching the boss ( aka, go away, spam cyclone to get the ehp buf... but dont touch the boss, 34 yards !)
6) have a WALL potion : YES, you can break walls with your potions. it will help to make a better pack / better density/ MORE DPS. ( barb should have it too of course!)
if you have any question, do not hesitate to jump in : twitch/hoxango