2 major design questions from beta

• These seem to be the top two questions that, as far as I know, have not been answered by Blizzard. They are design issues that appear in the current F&F beta build and I was hoping some light could be shed on what the ultimate intent is for them.

#1 - Nonskill bar spots
    Potions, scrolls?, and regular attack take up space on the ever-coveted action bar/mouse. Now, it's known that the game is meant to be played with 6 active skills and overall we are supplied with 7 spots to place things (5 being on the bar, and 2 for the mouse). That only leaves 1 spot that is unused by active skills by has competition from the multiple actions described above.

What's the deal? Are we going to have to make a choice between auto attack (which the demon hunter and wizard seem to be encouraged to use in their passives) and a healing potion? Obviously the healing potion is a valuable asset to have available in dire situations. And does that just leave scrolls out in the dust? Are there any behind-the-scenes plans to address this issue?

#2 - Respeccing skills on the fly
    The current system of being allowed to change your active (and passive?) skills at absolutely any time without any restrictions or limitations is generally deemed by the community as not the greatest of ideas. If we are free to respec whatever, whenever, then in theory we are granted access to all skills and the 6 cap just becomes an illusion. It also severely encourages the use of 3rd party macros for fast-swapping on the run.

Is this problem already apparent to Blizzard? Have limitations been discussed internally that you may or may not be ready to share at this point in time?

Thank you for any input you may have.
  • #1 - Nonskill bar spots
    Potions, scrolls?, and regular attack take up space on the ever-coveted action bar/mouse. Now, it's known that the game is meant to be played with 6 active skills and overall we are supplied with 7 spots to place things (5 being on the bar, and 2 for the mouse). That only leaves 1 spot that is unused by active skills by has competition from the multiple actions described above.

What's the deal? Are we going to have to make a choice between auto attack (which the demon hunter and wizard seem to be encouraged to use in their passives) and a healing potion? Obviously the healing potion is a valuable asset to have available in dire situations. And does that just leave scrolls out in the dust? Are there any behind-the-scenes plans to address this issue?

What you place into your various skill slots will vary from player to player and build to build. Depending on your skills you can have both left and right mouse button bound to skills (and pressing 'x' will swap your right-mouse with yet another skill button for a total of 3 mouse binds) and if you don’t have the resources to use the skill, then you’ll normal attack instead until you have the necessary resources to use the skill again. There should be space for, at least, a potion. Diablo III isn't designed with potion spamming in mind anyway, so really, you should have plenty of space on your bars for the elements that will be important to your hero's success.

#2 - Respeccing skills on the fly
    The current system of being allowed to change your active (and passive?) skills at absolutely any time without any restrictions or limitations is generally deemed by the community as not the greatest of ideas. If we are free to respec whatever, whenever, then in theory we are granted access to all skills and the 6 cap just becomes an illusion. It also severely encourages the use of 3rd party macros for fast-swapping on the run.

We're currently testing a few different solutions, but I don't have anything specific to report on that front just yet. We're okay with players changing their builds while they're out adventuring, but we're not comfortable with players running around with their skill pane open swapping skills during combat. We'd also rather not have a system which forces players to return to town. We’ve tried it, and it feels really bad. Of course, worse comes to worse and if our attempts to curb use in combat fail, it could very well be what we have to resort to.
  • 09/16/2011 04:32 PMPosted by Gràverobber
    Simple solution - Add a cast time

That's one of the options on the table currently.

• 9. There's not much call for hot-keying scrolls anyway.

7 skill slots + 1 mouse swap = ...?

Edit for failure.
  • 09/16/2011 04:54 PMPosted by Vanguard
    I see 5 keyboard slots, and your post says we can have 3 skills bound to the mouse. That's 8 unless I failed second grade...?

No, that was me. 8 is the correct total. Still, that's good for skills 1-6, autoattack and a potion key. Or, since builds won't necessarily need access to autoattack, a scroll if you really, really want to hotkey it.
  • Daxxarri, so is it okay with players changing their skills before every combat to minimize the obvious risk rather than experiment, especially in Hardcore where death means game over ?

It's not something that we're necessarily opposed to. Not yet, anyway. Bash made a post over here on the subject:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/3196390293#3
  • 09/16/2011 08:06 PMPosted by Kitethis
    Bash said in there that the feature would most likely be a dual spec sort of thing. I'm not totally opposed to this since there are so many different scenarios you would have to spec efficiently for, that having access to only 2 wouldn't be terrible. Not ideal, but not terrible.

Actually, he said that it probably wouldn't be implemented, but if it was, then it would likely take a form similar to dual spec. I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up, unnecessarily.