Diablo was not able to initialize

• After the new windows update today, Diablo will not open in the 64-bit client. In 32-bit it works, but I'm trying to fix the normal version. It worked fine before this update. I really don't know what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • Howdy!

We have seen an increase of reports after updating to Windows 10 Build: 16299, that errors starting the game such as "Unable to initialize" or "Graphics driver not available at this time" can occur. I have 3 steps I'd like you to do before you retest running the game:

Step 1) Goto your Documents folder -> Delete the Diablo III folder at this location to clear the game's settings.

Step 2) Goto the Blizzard app -> Select the Diablo III tab -> Options -> Drop down to: Show in Explorer -> Open the Diablo III folder -> Right click on Diablo III.exe -> Properties -> Compatibility tab -> Check: Disable Fullscreen Optimizations. Apply and Ok. Do the same for Diablo III Launcher.exe.

Step 3) Right click on your desktop -> Select: Display Settings -> Change your Resolution to a notch down, apply and save the change. Run the game, it should run. If it does change your Operating System resolution back to normal, run the game again to update the game's resolution.

Retest.

If the issue remains try playing in Selective Startup mode to shut down all background programs and avoid any conflicts. Make sure your display drivers for the system are fully updated if you need help with this step check out our support page Here.

Post up your Dxdiag within code blocks if the issue remains! Thank you. :)
  • AncientOne,

Your particular error looks like it's due to your Nahimic sound app, probably the overlay it uses. Try disabling or uninstalling that first and then see if the game launches.

For the others with an issue with the 64 bit client not running, do the Full Screen Optimization disabling mentioned above but with a small change. You need to be adjusting the Compatibility tab under Properties for the Diablo III64.exe file in the main game folder's x64 folder, otherwise you're setting the 32 bit client executable which isn't what you need.
  • Lazerchickn,

Discord's overlay feature could be responsible.
    From your submitted crash report:

"DBG-MODULE<60FB0000 0009d000 "DiscordOverlay.dll" "DiscordOverlay.pdb""

Try disabling or uninstalling Discord and re-test.

It could also be your AMD video drivers though I see you're using 17.12.1 for which I'm not aware of any problems right now.