Battle.net App in update loop and downloading even while in-game.

• So for the past week I've been having trouble with the battle.net app. It's been updating and getting up to around 60% and then the progress jumps back to 0% and it just keeps going.

It won't stop even when I fire up a game and have the option to disable updates while playing checked.

I tried deleting the battle.net cache folder but that didn't work.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or at least get it to stop downloading stuff while I'm in the middle of a game? I can turn off the battle.net app but sometimes I'm in a team that uses blizz chat and the game is practically unplayable while the download is going on.
  • Hey there!

So what you are describing is generally caused due to a permission/access issue. The app is trying to apply data to the game client and it can't.

This can be caused by a corrupt client, a bad security permission, interference from another program on the system or a permission issue with windows itself.

I have a few things you can try that may help you out here but if the issue persists, I would ask that you submit a direct ticket for further assistance.

Make Sure your OS and Video Drivers are up to date:

For AMD video cards go here.
    For Intel go here.
    For all Nvidia Video cards go here.
    Try doing a power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 60 seconds, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

Perform Steps 1-5 of this article.

Do not reinstall yet but follow these additional steps:

1. Open file explorer/file manager
    2. Type the following into the address bar (not the search bar): %APPDATA%
    3. Delete the Bnet and blizzard folders inside the appdata folder if they exist.
    4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 with %LOCALAPPDATA% and %TEMP%
    5. Empty the recycle bin.

Now reinstall the app to the C: Drive and have it relocate your games.

Try running your system in selective startup mode.

Ok, if all else fails let us try this one last thing. Creating a new administrator account.

Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile and try the game.